[TowerTalk] Top Band antenna ?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 1 06:20:52 PDT 2009

Ed Laughery wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am buiding a 160 meter vertical.  For the radials, I have some surplus
> wire and was wondering which would be better - fewer radials measured at 1/4
> wavelengths or a larger number of radials  that are shorter than a 1/4
> wavelength - example - four 126+ foot radials vs five 100 foot radials or
> double the radials but in the longer or shorter fashion.
>
> Thanks in advance for your consideration.

I assume you're talking about radials laying on the ground?

Rudy Severns (N6LF) has studied this with both models and field experiments
http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/

In particular look at his presentation on tests
http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/files/ground_system_tests.pps

To a certain extent it depends on your soil properties, but his take
home is that more shorter radials is better until you get to around 16
radials...