[TowerTalk] Rigid Steel Conduit as Mast?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Jun 5 15:01:53 PDT 2009

I asked a colleague who builds a lot of commercial two-way
installations where I could find 2-inch hot-dipped galvanized mast
material locally. He suggested that I use 1.5-inch rigid steel
conduit. I'll be using a 10 ft length with a 3-element SteppIR (no
30/40M element), with roughly 3 ft inside the top section of the
tower. The tower is in a relatively protected location, so not a lot
of wind speed.

I would question whether this is sufficiently robust for a bigger
antenna, but this is not a lot of load. Any thoughts on this?

73,

Jim K9YC