[TowerTalk] tower raising winch

David Jones djetc at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 28 11:35:31 PDT 2009

I have a Tri Ex 588 tower I am looking to add a winch to raise my winch and tilt it up right. I am looking at a 10,000 pound winch to attach to the roof of my house for raising and lowering it from to ground to install antenna and do maintenance. My question is that the winch is for 12 volt operation wiith automatic braking. I know that a hoist is more suitable for stable holing power for in and out cable pull. Can the winch be used safeely for the raising and lowering since it has automatic braking? I was hoping it would work since the total pulling power is way over the limit needed to raise the tower since the whole tower only weighs less than 500 pounds.
Thank
Dave
KB0CVV