[TowerTalk] lightning protection

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Mon Mar 2 16:20:30 PST 2009

I connect my disconnected cables to a ground buss, that is
grounded three feet outside the shack.   Bought it form The Wireman.
Seemed like a good idea at the time.   I did not want the disconnected
cables just sitting on the desk a foot away from the gear.   I know it is
not ideal, but it has to be better than having them float about the room.
I am still working on bonding the antenna bus,  the shack stuff, and
the house electrical system into a single point ground system - which
takes some thinking t avoid having stuff at odd potentials - but in the
mean time I shunt all antenna cables to this grounding bus - again on
the theory it is better to give it a reasonable chance to ground to earth
than to have it arc off the ends to whatever it finds in the shack.

Am I on any track here, or just deluding myself I have improved the
situation.