[TowerTalk] Electric Drill to Winch Adapter Question

chas chasm at texas.net
Mon Mar 9 11:42:32 PDT 2009

Dennis Vernacchia wrote:
> Thanks to Richard and John for the info and photo of adapter and
> yes, will check harbor freight !
>
> That's looks like a great 1/2 inch Drill !
> ( ..and it's almost the same price as an electric hoist which would obviate
> the need for the adapter scheme ! )
> *http://tinyurl.com/b3nqe5
> 73, Dennis N6KI

HEADS UP
there are several models I THINK of the Boss HAWG to include the SUPER
  HAWG which has a 450/1200 rpm.  I believe that the one in the
tinyurl is a single speed and you really don't want to be cranking
that tower at more than about 300rpm.  at least, I don't think that I
would want to.  price wise, you can go to CPO Milwaukee  and get
rebuilts for about 10% off.  actually, there are all kinds of prices
on Milwaukee tools, just shop around.  My favorite is to go to a large
pawn shop in today's economy and see what is there.  I have returned
relativly new looking Porter Cable for rehab in the past and gotten
virtually brand new tools in return for the cost of shipping.

as stated, if you are going to pay 300$US+ for a power crank, you
might as well get a tower base mounted winch with a 25' remote so that
you can step back and watch the attachments as you raise or lower the
tower.  my opinion.  ymmv.

another heads up, I have been comparing and agonizing for several
years over a decent, screw driver/drill, cordless, Lion, 14V and
finally got one that I think is very likely the best hidden secret in
Home Depot...  a Hilti
These are made in plants in 6 countries (none are Chicom but then,
none are US either) mostly euro.  I LOVE this thing! fast recharge,
slow power usage, huge torque.  German looking, HEAVY DUTY  quality
with a 2 yr warranty.  And the next cordless I buy will be the Hilti
Lion Screwdriver (SID144-A CPC) which is not a drill but is an impact
screwdriver..  1,265 inlbs of torque!  uses snap chuck drill bits
only. 3 leds to light your project at night in case you are trying to
set some lags in the dark to hold your suspension lines until
daylight, etc.  WARNING, with that much torque, make sure you have a
good 3 point support before you pull the trigger!

fwiw
73 de chas/k5dam