[TowerTalk] phasing multiband verticals

N7mal n7mal at citlink.net
Tue Mar 10 22:20:47 PDT 2009

I thought I would answer in one big email rather than 20 small emails so
here goes:

Jack W6NF said:""How about cost? I, personally, can hardly afford a single
325-foot run of
coax to my 65-foot DX Engineering verticals, much less two! If you have deep
pockets, go for it, but some of us don't!""
Unfortunately there is a hard fast-n-rule that applies to any good antenna
system. 'There is no free lunch.' If you want a good directional system for
160/80/40 there is a price to pay. In your individual case phasing at the
antennas is much more cost effective.

Jim N2EA said:""No reason hams couldn't do something similar, and just coil
up the  phasing lines in a box. Switching could then be done with simple
manual coax  switches.""
My most favorite system is what Jim is describing. In the mid 70's many guys
tried this system and most were very successful. The ones that couldn't get
it working made one really simple mistake.... The antenna switch 'MUST' be
non-grounding. So many antenna switches ground the unused ports and this
naturally shorts out the whole system. The system in it's most basic form is
4 27ft phasing lines, 5 t-connectors, and a 5 position, non-grounding,
antenna switch. The verticals are 80/40 multiband verts.

Dick K8ZTT said:""Actually the best spacing for their system on 40M is 49 ft
(more than a
quarter but less than a half).   I use 1/2 because that gives me better
cross fire gain at the expense of some end fire gain; and my verticals are
on a NW/SE line (NE/SW would be better, but that wouldn't work at my QTH).""
Here is another of those meaningless numbers like 43. 49 like 43 has no
relationship to 40 meters. Now if you had the proper test equipment(very
expensive stuff) you could measure the field intensity of your antenna
system and find the optimal spacing distance for your particular system.
There are several variables in every vertical antenna system: ground
conductivity, radials, size of vertical radiator,,etc etc. So you could
conceivably end up with some spacing way beyond, or between, traditional 1/4
or 1/2 wave spacing. For 99.99% of all ham radio applications the
traditional spacing, 1/4 or 1/2 wave, is very adequate. In most ham radio
applications a db is not that meaningful. In broadcast operations were tens
of thousands of watts are involved a db may mean up to 1,000 household in
the antenna field pattern.

Terry N6RY said:""I don't understand the problem with feedlines of 1/4 wl
multiples.  Several popular amateur phasing schemes are specifically
designed to use odd multiples of 1/4 wl lines.""
You are 100% correct sir. I left out the key word 'even'. So far I've never
seen a system that does not rely on 'odd' multiple of 1/4 wavelength. Thanks
for the correction.....

Jamie WW3S asked the original question: ""Looking to phase two multiband
verticals, probably Butternut HF6, for 40m, using 1/4 wave spacing and
either phasing lines or a hybrid. Looking for suggestions on how to switch
them so I could continue to use either one as a multiband vertical or switch
to the phased pair for 40m....""
Yes it can be, and has been, done. The verticals are separated by, the magic
number, 43 feet. They are fed in phase with a balancing device. The
impedance of the 2 verticals will be very low and needs to be brought up to
50 ohms. You will not get directivity with this type of system but will get
a couple of db's in gain in a circle. The biggest obstacle to overcome is on
80 & 40. The verticals must be tuned to the exact frequency.

p.s. if I didn't answer one of the private emails send me another email.
Thanks

MAL
N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ