[TowerTalk] Pinning my mast in rotator clamp

W3YY w3yy at cox.net
Wed Mar 11 19:26:54 PDT 2009

Tom -

I've always pinned my masts to the rotators, including a G-1000DXA and
G-2800DXA.  I've had no problems with the moderate size antennas I use, e.g.
4-el SteppIR, Magnum 240N 2-el 40.

My reasoning was that I didn't want to risk slippage and then have to go up
and realign the antenna.  If the rotator broke because it was pinned to the
mast, I felt that just meant I needed a bigger rotator.

The only interesting thing I can add to this discussion is the fact that
bolts used to pin antennas to masts do shear.  I thought the force required
to shear even a low grade bolt would be enough to destroy any rotator.
Apparently not so, as I've heard many stories about even high grade bolts
shearing before the rotator failed.

73, Bob - W3YY