[TowerTalk] Pinning my mast in rotator clamp

Dan Edward Dba East edwards dan.n.edwards at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 12 07:26:18 PDT 2009

tom:

I think it depends on several things;

mostly, how big is the antenna, and is it 'torque neutral'?

is the rotor under- or over-rated by the mfg?

located on a mountaintop, or up more than 140', or both?

whats your budget? (for replacing busted rotators).

do you like to climb, or do you hire it out?

25 years ago I planned to go no larger than a Tailtwister, with 3 105' towers and
3 300 degree sidemounts; longest boom 53'; the rotors were marginal. I never lost a rotor.
I NEVER pinned a mast either. tighten the nuts 5 ft pounds short of stripping. DID
have slippage on something about twice a year.

FWIW, 73, W5XZ