[TowerTalk] Buying 6" sections of Alum tubing

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Fri Mar 13 20:11:35 PDT 2009

Since when is 6063 stronger than 6061 aluminum?

To: <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Buying 6" sections of Alum tubing
From: "W0MU Mike Fatchett
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 18:55:20 -0600

DXE provides full instructions and what pieces of tubing to use.  The bottom
12 ft alternates between 2 and 2 1/4 inch tubing to the 12 ft level.

DXE also sells 3 and 6ft tubing with slits or no slits.  Maybe cheaper than
TT.

I have not priced out buying the parts separately nor have I inquired if
there might be a discount if one purchased 4 complete kits for a 4 sq.

I have been very impressed with the quality of the other DXE products I have
purchased which includes two receiving 4 squares that work great and various
other parts.

I was considering building my own and using rivets instead of SS clamps.

The material is not ordinary 6061 it is extruded 6063 which they say is
stronger etc.

I was looking at using a different earth anchor called duckbills from
http://www.earthanchor.com/ instead of the screw in anchors.  You might be
able to rope cheaper but then you may pay additional shipping over using a
single source.

As for Hygain.  No thanks.  I avoid buying from that company when possible.