[TowerTalk] Phased Vertical Follow-up

Bob Alexander realex at flash.net
Sun Mar 15 07:23:20 PDT 2009

jimlux wrote:
> larryjspammenot at teleport.com wrote:
>
>> I've been wanting to try a pair of phased Butternut HF6V vertical antennas for 40-Meters, mounted on my garage roof. I already have them, that's why I'm looking at Butternut. The garage is 40 feet long, so I trust there's enough spacing for proper operation.
>>
>> Looking at that Hy-Gain Engineering report for Amateur Phasing (I picked up my copy back in the 1960's), I know any verticals should work okay, not just the Hy-Gain ones. However, since that report and procedures info for phasing two or three vertical antennas was written, there have been improvements to the test procedures, computer modeling, and probably much discussion as to how best to tackle a simple 2-antenna vertical array used for just 40-Meters. That Hy-Gain report is given in the last four pages of the link shown earlier. I'd be interested in any suggestions or improvements before I look at doing it as shown in this Hy-Gain report.
>>

> What about the scheme in the ARRL antenna compendium from the EE prof..
> Basically a pi network that gets adjusted and a DPDT switch to flip the
> phasing.  You adjust for a null on the desired station, then flip the
> switch.

Howdy,
When I put together the article in volume 2 of the compendium I used two
Butternut HF2V antennas with great success.  Since then Ive used full
size monoband 40s, monoband 20s
 and mix and match monoband verticals paired with a Butternut HF6V.
Assure the feedlines from the verticals provide in phase signals in the
broadside direction at the point where the phasing device is installed
and any two verticals can be used.

73, Bob, W5AH