[TowerTalk] Bandwidth of a 1/4wl 80m vertical

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Mar 16 12:41:22 PDT 2009

I did a study of bandwidth vs diameter and there are 3 results:

1.  Bandwidth increases fairly slowly with diameter.

2.  No practical diameter is going to cover 3.5-4 MHz with a
fixed match.

3.  Making the antenna fat lowers the radiation resistance, and
increases ground losses.

I'm going to stick with my 3 inch irrigation tubing, which is
3 inches mainly for mechanical reasons.

Rick N6RK