[TowerTalk] DX Engineering 66-Foot Vertical?

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Mar 17 05:50:00 PDT 2009

> What I worry about in that case is oscillation under the right wind
> conditions.

> Roger (K8RI)

After much experimenting, I have learned something about the oscillation
problem:

1.  The worst design is a uniform diameter vertical guyed at equal
intervals.  This is somewhat obvious from physics.

2.  Tapering the diameters is very helpful.

3.  For really flimsy verticals, I guy every 15 feet

4.  Oscillation may not cause immediate failures, but instead
the cumulative effects of fatigue will eventually reach the breaking
point.

Rick N6RK