[TowerTalk] DX Engineering 66-Foot Vertical?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 18 06:52:38 PDT 2009

RICHARD SOLOMON wrote:
> What I did was to run a small (1/4" dia) Poly rope the length of the vertical.
>
> Epoxied it at the top, pulled on it to apply tension and epoxied the rope to
>
> the bottom.

I think it needs to spiral to kill the aeolian vibration.  The idea is
to cause the vortices to shed with different rates and phases as you
move along the mast.  Since that's affected by the cross section
(relative to the wind direction), a spiral presents different cross
sections at different heights.  It also changes the center of pressure
(relative to the center of the mast).