[TowerTalk] Vertical in pond

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 10:59:37 PDT 2009

Actually for a 1 kw station on 1340 with a 73 degree stick you get out
pretty well.  I looked at your contours and the fringe looks like it's
about 80 miles from your tx site.  not bad for 1 kw non-DA in AZ.

73

Rob / k5uj

Gentlemen,

As a commercial boadcaster running a AM station, KPGE, I would give anything to
be located in a swamp.  As I travel around and see stations located in swampy
areas I am green with envy.  For AM stations the ground system in a wet
environment gives us an advantage for coverage.

KPGE-AM is located with it's radial system in a bone dry desert environment..
When it rains our coverage area increases dramatically.  So much so that the
previous owner put in a drip system over the radial field.  The cost of water
in the desert made him stop.  If the town ever makes me move the AM, we have
chosen a site next door to the towns sewer ponds.  Being next to the sewer
ponds would be an upgrade over the present location.

As a DXer our locations at 8Q7AA in the Maldives, XZ0A on a island off of
Burma, and at 9M0M on Sprately, have convinced me that "Verticles on the Beach"
are the only way to go.

Dan   NA7DB