[TowerTalk] Discone Antenna

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Mar 20 22:27:11 PDT 2009

Michael Ryan wrote:
> Just as a side note to those who might want a discone, stay away ... FAR
> AWAY from the radio shack model, or any with HOLLOW elements.

Hmmm...I needed a quick fix for a VHF/UHF antenna when we first moved
here which will be 25 years this fall so it would have been around 20 to
24 years ago.  I purchased a RS discone, with hollow elements. They've
never shown a sign of rust and are held in place with threaded brass rod
inserted in the ends.  Other than being mechanically fragile, it's stood
up remarkable well.  Worth what it cost? Probably not, but at least it
did the job that I needed.

73

Roger (K8RI)