[TowerTalk] Low Loss 400, You get what you pay for

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Mar 24 07:44:18 PDT 2009

Adam Shirley WJ4X wrote:
> I also would throw Bury Flex in the running, it's what I use for
> everything 440 and down. I have a run of Jefe 400, and it works well on
> HF, but as far as measured spec, I have no clue, but it does appear to
> meet it's velocity factor, at least to the extent I can test with an MFJ
> 269. (good enough for Amateur work.. HI HI) I use the Jefe with an OCF
> dipole, so I couldn't attest to it's vhf and up performance, but a lot
> of people use it  for wireless networking.
>
> What's nice about the Bury Flex is the ability to use it for a rotator
> loop and home run it to the shack with no breaks between the antenna and

I use it for rotator loops and from the remote switches to the sloping
dipoles,  but no breaks between the shack and antenna?  I have the
pigtails that run from the rigs to the patch panels (2 connectors) patch
panel (2 connectors) 6-pack at base of tower (2 connectors) grounding
bulkhead at base of tower for each run ( 3 connectors) remote antenna
switches (4 connectors), OR skip the remote switches go direct from
grounding bulkhead at base of tower to grounding bulkhead at top of
tower (2 connectors) pigtail from grounding bulkhead to antennas, (2
more connectors) or 13 connectors in each run between the rigs and
antennas.  28' of Buryflex at each end and about 200' of LMR-600 in
between.
> the radio. Plus the material the jacket is made of seems to pull through
> conduit better,
With the long runs here, I use *lots* of cable pulling soap. Note last
photo in http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm

73

Roger (K8RI)