[TowerTalk] 43 foot Vertical claim

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Wed Mar 25 10:45:37 PDT 2009

Thanks, Jerry --

I guess the good news is that I was not looking for this
antenna to do well higher than, say, 17 meters - My target
bands were 160-20 - and it seems to work WELL ENOUGH
on my target bands.

I have other antennas for these higher bands, which are
designed for them.

I intend this to be a "good"  multi band antenna.... but it is
not an  "all " band antenna.    I should have been more clear
as to the target bands I expect to use it on.

Sidebar -
I find it interesting few of the critics have emphasized how it is
an omni directional antenna, and as a local ham repeatedly tells
me... it "radiates equally bad in all directions."   I acknowledge
this is a potential weakness for some users - as there is no
directional gain as you might get from even the simplest beam
design.

And yet that is part of what appealed to me!   It gives me a
simple, single solution to the problem of wanting to make contacts
all over the place.    So... I purposely traded directional gain for
versatility.

Eventually, a medium sized tower with beam antennas is in
my future.   And then I will be able to support some higher and
longer wire antennas.   I am learning about that as I go, but for
now, this is an affordable single solution for a complex problem.