[TowerTalk] HFTA and DEMS

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Thu Mar 26 07:12:52 PDT 2009

I just tried it.  Its working but it's moving at the speed of dial-up
for loading the pages.  You may have to allow pop-ups for the website,
at least temporarily.

Jerry, K4SAV

Here are the steps I used:

1.  Website:  http://seamless.usgs.gov/index.php
2.  press: "View and Download United States Data"
3.  wait - it took a long time to load this page, don't know why
4.  Under Elevation, make sure NED Shaded Relief 1 arc second is checked,
    also GTOP060 Color Shaded Relief is checked
5.  under Downloads press: "Define Download Area by Coordinates"
6.  In new window, enter box for coordinates.  Replace SS.SS with 0
(that's a zero)
     In the past I have found that if you add an area that is too large,
the system will hang.
     I used a box 12 by 12 arc minutes.
7.  press:  "Add Area"
8.  In new window: press "Modify Data Request"
9.   wait, it's slow to load.  There should be a progress bar at the
bottom of the page.
10.  New window, scroll down and change ArcGrid to GeoTiff, make sure
NED 1 arc second is selected
11.  Scroll to bottom of page and press: "Save Changes & Return to Summary"
12.  wait - it's slow to load the page
13.  Now back to the down load page, press "Download"
14  wait, New window, wait - My download didn't start automatically.  I
had to press the "here" link to retrieve it
15.  Then I get the pop-up to save the file to a location.