[TowerTalk] Stacking Antennas

Brian Machesney nekvtster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 10:43:37 PDT 2009

Mention was made of simulating with NEC to see what one would get from a
particular stack. Assuming the results are not what one wants right out of
the gate, how can one optimize the antennas to get the "best" or "desired"
results? I can't find a replacement for Yagi Optimizer which, I understand,
was used by WA3FET to optimize his OWA designs for stacking.

How did YO work? Did one simply parameterize the antenna design and then let
YO plot patterns for many different combinations of parameters? If so, I can
do that with MultiNEC (also, sadly, no longer available). 4nec2 says it
includes,"AO-style gradient/hill-climbing optimizer" and "Genetic Algorithms
based optimizer." Does anyone have experience with this aspect of 4nec2?

Thanks,

Brian K1LI