[TowerTalk] Hardline ?

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Thu May 7 16:05:27 PDT 2009

Hi Jim,

I see where you are coming from now. In my last response I thought that you
were talking about loss because of a mismatch to the generator and the
generator could not put out full power because of it. I didn't look at what
you referenced.

What I was originally questioning was your first statement (long ago) of
"0.18 dB additional loss with any length of line" when 75 ohm line was used
rather than 50 ohm line. I don't think that you originally said "worst case"
as you now have. I may have missed it originally though.

That sounded like you were saying that there was an automatic .18 dB of loss
when there was a 1.5:1 mismatch no matter how much loss the line had.
That is why I said that you must first know the line loss in order to
determine the additional loss caused by the mismatch.
However, I agree that the MAXIMUM additional loss in this case of .18dB
seems to be correct but it will be less than that when line losses are
lower.

73
Gary  K4FMX