[TowerTalk] Hardline ?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu May 7 21:44:46 PDT 2009

On Thu, 07 May 2009 22:02:58 -0400, Roger (K8RI) wrote:

> The worst case ADDITIONAL loss in the line for this degree of
>> mismatch is 0.18dB, no matter how long the line is. This is shown in the graph
>> for that degree of mismatch, which is asymtotic to 0.18 dB.
>>

>Although correct I think the statement is a bit misleading.

I don't think it's misleading at all. The equations and graphs in the Handbook
show quite clearly that the worst case loss that you can blame on a 1.5:1 VSWR is
0.18 dB. Period. You will have so many dB/100 ft for the "matched loss", plus
some additional loss that can never be more than 0.18dB.  What that means is
quite simple -- it is crazy to go overboard about modest VSWR!

73,

Jim Brown K9YC