[TowerTalk] Advice pse : Log Periodic versus small Steppir

Dave Johnson djohnson at windstream.net
Fri May 8 06:53:13 PDT 2009

Hey Gerry,

Replacing your KT34a with a 2 el Steppir or a Tennadyne T6 would be a
noticeable loss in performance on 10, 15 & 20 meters, however, you would add
several bands that the KT34 can't cover.  If you are going to change
antennas, I would go with the 3 element SteppIR.

I have converted a KT34a to the KT34-M2 and it's a hard job but well worth
the effort.  I have just finished converting a KT34XA to a KT36XA-M2 but
don't have it up on a tower just yet.  That conversion is a much bigger job.
I am anxious to get it working so I can compare it's performance to my 6
element monoband antennas on 15 and 20 that are on separate towers.

If you decide rebuild the KT34a, I suggest you buy a shotgun cleaning kit
and use the wire brush to clean all the corrosion out of the capacitor
tubes.  It was interesting to see the big cloud of white dust that came out
of those tubes.

Good Luck,

Dave - K4SSU