[TowerTalk] 135' open wire fed dipole pattern

chas chasm at texas.net
Sun May 10 10:35:48 PDT 2009

KI9A at aol.com wrote:
> Gang,
>
> I have right now, a 135' long dipole, fed with 450 ohm ladderline.  It  is
> in a vee, apex about 50', ends about 10'.
>
> I have a chance to use a neighbors tree, his idea-gotta LOVE that, which
> will put it up as a flat top, 60-70'.  Will be broadside NE/SW.
>
> I am looking for a decent domestic antenna, the VEE is great, but, as a
> ham, I'm always looking for more.  My GAP Voyager is fine for my city lot  on
> 40/80 DX, works all it can hear.
>
> What does the pattern look like for a V at 50', and a flat top at  60'?
>
> 73- Chuck KI9A

I am and have been for a couple of years, using a Cobra Senior which
is 140' long. 100' of ladderline although the maker is now shipping it
with 81' since he says everyone is snipping it off and it does not
affect the antenna.. run into a 1:9 balun and then coax'd into a
Dentron 3000A tuner, etc for QRO  OR  an AT200Pro tuner for the
digital/TS-490HX.
Mine is also oriented the same as yours, but 50' at one end and 35' at
the other...

it tunes to 1:1.3 at 6m, flat at 4mhz or lower, etc
This is without a doubt, the best antenna I have ever used and I at
one time, always said that about my DX-CC.

really suggest that you consider the Cobra series of antennas.
Google for info

chas/houston  k5dam

..