[TowerTalk] Rotor for Long Cable Run

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun May 10 13:02:37 PDT 2009

I'm planning the install for a 3-el SteppIR (w/6M element) that
requires a cable run of about 400 ft. (no 30M/40M elements -- I've
already got dipoles at 100 ft).

I'll be doing a lot of contesting, so I don't want it to be TOO slow.
Considering the cost of copper, I can spend a few more bucks on the
rotor if it's more tolerant of copper loss. I would prefer not to go
to the trouble of remote relays if I can avoid it.

Other considerations:  This is going to be on a tall tower and I'm
well past my climbing days, so paying more for reliability is a no-
brainer. The tower and the antenna will be sheltered from the wind in
a dense grove of redwoods, and top winds outside the grove are about
85 mph. Computer control is not important for me.

The cost of copper is going to be quite significant. The questions
are,

1) how much (that is, how big) copper do I really heed, and

2) Which rotor should I use?

Thoughts?

73,

Jim K9YC