[TowerTalk] [50mhz] [Mw] TV Channels 2-6 Post Transition

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon May 18 12:29:39 PDT 2009

Chris Boone wrote:
> AINT GONNA HAPPEN!!!
>
> 6 is not 4m....and 4 and 5 TV still have plenty of DTV assignments, AND to
> correct the numbers, DTV5 has the fewest of stations left AFTER 6/12 with 4
> or 5 iirc, NOT DTV 6 (which has more than 2 allocated/licensed on it..dont
> know where you got that info!!! BUT its WRONG!!)..
>
> ALSO Senior broadcast Broadcast consulting engineers (one of them former VP
> of Engineer for ABC Radio) has proposed expanding the FM band down into TV 5
> and 6 areas...they would have a better chance than hams.....
> 4? Too many TV4s left on DTV (or LP analog!) and thus 4mtrs wont be
> available...also 72-76MHz is used by RC modelists and especially RC
> FLYERs...nope, you DON'T want to open up that bag of worms....6 has some
> channels available (actually ANY amateur frequency allowed the emissions
> required, can do RC model...but the chances of a 70+ mph flying bullet
> hitting someone and causing serious damage OR death keeps the 50.8-51Mhz
> range empty except them (I HOPE!)
When the 6-meter band actually opens that area is packed. I sure
wouldn't want a $5,000 plus model controlled on those frequencies.  I
doubt even most of  today's hams are aware of their existence. Only
those of us from the "old days" when that was highly popular.  Even then
there were problems, probably more so than today when digital is  about
the only mode used.

Wayyy back...in the 60's or maybe earlier, a friend who was a ham and RC
modeler lost a small plane when a station came on about a mile away and
the plane failed to respond.  He found the wings outside a greenhouse.
The rest was inside.

I can't imagine any ham in their right mind using any section of six as
the risk is just too great. I wouldn't even use a learners model in
there.  They might get away with it for years but sooner or later, some
one some where will come on with the inevitable result....  At least
today's *good* RC gear is much less prone to interference than the stuff
we used to use.

73

Roger (K8RI)