[TowerTalk] Rotor change out question (added note)

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat May 23 15:12:31 PDT 2009

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
> k2vi wrote:
>
>> Hey fellas,
>>
>> Can someone please give me some advice. I was thinking of changing out my rotor and really do not want to remove the ta-33 from the tower. Can I simply loosen the mast clamp and lower the antenna to rest on the thrust bearing then loosen the rotor clamp to slide the mast up to remove the rotor. What would be the easiest process to switch out a rotor without removing the antenna. Thanks in advance guys. Have a great memorial weekend guys.
>>

> I've been doing this for years and it's with a large array
> http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm (link posted many
> times before).  There are two thrust bearings that normally only support
> the system from side to side movement. To take out the rotator I raise
> the antennas and mast a few inches and tighten the bolts in the bottom
> thrust bearing to hold things in place. (The system is heavy enough I
> put a clamp and clevis on the mast and use a "come-along" to raise it).
> Once raised I simply take the rotator out the side of the tower.  Note
> rotator motor sticks out the side of the tower to the left, just above
> the bottom of the photo.

I forgot to add that I block the mast from turning.  Depending on the
load this can be simple or a bit more complex.  If the load is not too
great a piece of channel fastened to two tower legs using saddle clamps
with a saddle clamp around the mast will work.  It may take a second
piece of channel welded/bolted to the first to anchor to the third tower
leg.

If the load it not great even 2 X 4s clamped to the mast and tower legs
will work.
Fit two 2 X 4s together and bore a slightly undersized hole through then
centered on the junction between them. Block up the joint is necessary
for spacing.

Another method is adapting a rotator mounting plate using a piece of
angle and saddle clamp, or using a thrust bearing/sleeve that can be
pinned.

I like the rotator plate as it's easy, distributes the load across the
tower legs equally, and I happen to have one available.

73 again,

Roger (K8RI)