[TowerTalk] Balanced Feedline for Ground Mounted Vertical?

Andy ai.egrps at gmail.com
Sun May 24 11:56:18 PDT 2009

Just another data point ...

I believe it is standard for AM broadcast stations to match the tower to the
feedline right at the base of each tower, even with their monster coax or
when they had balanced open feedline.  (I worked at one that still had some
remnants of their old open feedline runs.)

Work out a loss budget to see how much power you lose by having a high
feedline SWR.

> Almost everyone recommends matching in the shack as well as at the
> antenna feedpoint.

You shouldn't need any special matching in the shack if you match correctly
at the antenna feedpoint.  Just a balun with the right ratio.

Andy