[TowerTalk] HP8761A

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue May 26 21:15:39 PDT 2009

jimlux wrote:
> John Kemker wrote:
>
>> Yeah, that's why I'm asking others about it.  It's only rated for 10W,
>> but has a 5kW peak?  That's an interesting spread.  I wonder why the
>> large range between nominal rating and peak rating?
>>

> The average rating is determined by heating.  The peak rating is
> determined by voltage breakdown.

Unless I'm missing something,  this would render the peak rating
meaningless for almost all amateur use  Even SSB  at 100 watts PEP  is
going to be pushing the 10W average unless making short transmissions.
About the only thing I can think of that might work would be short
pulses of high speed digital.