[TowerTalk] W-51 wind load

Hank Lonberg kr7x1 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 1 09:11:57 PST 2009

Neil:

The WT-51 is the tower Tashijan sells  and the W-51 is the old
Triex design. First off the old Triex was designed using
"fastest mile" wind velocity and the old UBC. The newer WT-51
design conforms to the IBC or TIA/EIA 222 rev G using "3-sec"
gust velocity.  So 85 mph (3-sec) converts to 70 mph
(fastest-mile). In addition take a look at the alloy and size
specifications for the tower legs between the two. I believe,
but not sure, that the newer tower design uses a different leg
alloy and maybe even different diameter and wall thickness.

This is the most likely cause for the different specifications
coupled with a more analytically consistent design approach
with the newer codes (IBC and TIA/EIA).

Regards
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.
H.S. Lonberg, P.E.,S.E. / KR7X