[TowerTalk] RG218

saul_abrams at dps.state.ny.us saul_abrams at dps.state.ny.us
Mon Nov 2 11:24:36 PST 2009

I have been using it for over 30 yrs when I got some new Navy(?) surplus
for 10 cents a foot.  Mine has a very heavy-duty braided aluminium (?)
shield jacket over the outside of the entire coax and had some green
powdery stuff on it.   I think the braid was protection for when the cable
is bolted to the outside of a ship.  Anyway, it weighed a ton and was
indestructible.  I just laid it on the ground to let it sink in a little,
and just drive over it when necessary.  I now have some connectors (very
convenient) but  started by soldering pigtails onto it--the pigtail also
avoids the cable-creep of the center conductor.  The center conductor is
so large, that if you're careful, you can bore a hole in it to slip in the
center of the 213.    It's sorta like the gorillas equivalent of 1/2 inch
hard line because the loss is about the same as 1/2 inch hard line at HF
frequencies, but rises faster at VHF.  If you don't have to lift it
anywhere, or take it up a tower, it's great to use,  For going up a tower
I would substitute LMR 400  and avoid the hardship.  Also, if yours has
the outside braid, be sure to use gloves.   GL  73  Saul  K2XA