[TowerTalk] Fwd: Dbi vs DBd

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 4 09:57:00 PST 2009

-----Original Message-----

I would venture that the only substantial users of dBd are hams and possibly marketeers. The pro modeling tools (NEC and it's ilk, the FDTD programs, etc.) all use dBi.

The problem comes with defining the "d" in the "relative to a dipole".. do you mean relative to the gain in the same direction, or relative to 2.15dBi, the peak dipole gain? At least the isotropic antenna (while impossible to actually realize) has a uniform definition.