[TowerTalk] Single point ground

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Nov 4 17:51:54 PST 2009

Rob Atkinson wrote:
>>> It pains me to see hams with imperfect above-ground shack locations
>>> thinking about installing hundreds of dollars' worth of Polyphasers in
>>> pursuit of the wrong Holy Grail -- 24/7 antenna availability.
>>>

> Correct.  I often get the feeling a lot of hams think that
> broadcasters and other professionals work in this bullet proof utopia
> of immunity to direct hits.  Not true.
Nothing is bullet proof, BUT my system has taken 17 direct hits to the
tower since the ground system was finished.  I normally do not bother
with disconnecting anything. The reason is not that I consider it
invulnerable, but it's just too difficult to get at all the cables and
takes too long to disconnect them.  Remember the old saying, when you
hear thunder, it's time to go indoors.  I apply that to hanging onto
antenna and control leads tied to a 130' lightning rod. if the storm is
that close I ain't gonna be hanging onto wires from the tower.

If I'm going to be gone for a few days in the warmer weather I do
disconnect everything.
BTW in the shop I have an easily reached, patch panel which makes
disconnecting (and unplugging) equipment much easier. In the house it's
a lost cause.

So far there has been no damage to any equipment including coax and
antennas even with that many *visually verified* hits.

I would add that I have more invested in the ground system than many do
in their stations with 32 or 33 8' ground rods cadwelded(TM) to well
over 600 feet of bare #2 copper plus the additional coax connectors
required for grounding the coax at the top and bottom of the tower as
well as the bulkhead where it comes into the house.

73

Roger (K8RI)