[TowerTalk] LM-70 Tiltover Winch

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Nov 12 15:26:14 PST 2009

Dennis Vernacchia wrote:
> If you happen to have a strong Reversible  1/2 inch chuck drill
> like a Milwaukee Hole Hawg or similar, do yourself a favor
> and buy a Fulton KW3000 52 to 1 ratio worm gear winch
> currently on sale at Grainger for $143
> ( Find someone that ha a Grainger Account as they don't sell retail to
> consumer )
>
> You can turn by hand crank but will take quite a while to tilt tower
> up and down ( which you hopefully do often ) due to  great 52 to 1 ratio
> and not brake needed as it will not freewheel if you let go of handle
>
> 73, Dennis N6KI

I am also doing this.  If you are a farm bureau member, you
get a free discounted Grainger Account.  I think that anybody
can use that account number if they know what it is, because
there is no check to verify that you are actually a FB member.

I recently discovered that when my Milwaukee drill overheats and slows
down, I can pull it back from the winch and let it free run at full speed.
The built in cooling fan can then do its work and cool it off in
maybe 10 or 15 seconds.  I find that this technique allows me to crank
enough that I am limited only by the winch overheating.  If you have
a really big Milwaukee drill, watch out for winch overheating.

Rick N6RK