[TowerTalk] New Tower installation

Gene Fuller w2lu at rochester.rr.com
Sat Nov 14 13:02:27 PST 2009

Hi Rex -

Another two cents worth -

A four foot shank sounds a bit short, even though installed at a 50 degree
angle it still has to pull tthrough 4 feet of earth.  Remember that closer
to the surface the soil is not as compact and would offer less resistance
than deeper. If, including  some of the tower, the effective surface area
would be at least 10 square feet, at 30 psf wind pressure you would have a
300+ lbs horizontal force, which, translated down to a 50 degree guy angle
would look more like 400-450 + lbs, again, perhaps a challenge for a 4 foot
anchor rod only 3 feet deep - especially since 30 pfs may be on the light
side and higher gusts, and a bit of pumping. I agree with Frank - 6 foot
minimum.

Gene / W2LU