[TowerTalk] Cable working load/breaking strength...///

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 17 17:41:17 PST 2009

Bill Winkis wrote:
> *Here is what the folks at Amtec are saying... I use there cable grips...
> *
>
> *The broad application of AMTEC Grips on a wide variety of objects
> requires that adequate safety factors be used to establish a safe
> working load. The ratio of the listed approximate breaking strength to
> the normal working load is the safety factor. As an example, a safety
> factor of ten (10) would then mean that the working load is established
> by dividing the catalog listed approximate breaking strength by ten
> (10), or it can be stated that the working load is 1/10 of the catalog
> listed approximate breaking strength.*

Yep.. that's sort of what I was thinking..

each designer chooses what they want to use as a safety factor for each
application.  It covers things like material property uncertainty (e.g.
was it a slightly not so good batch of steel), installation issues
(certainly an issue for something like grips, which I can imagine would
vary greatly in ultimate strength depending on application technique and
how clean the cable is, etc.), or environmental factors (are you using
it in a salt spray environment).

So, if you want to know what the mfr (or designer) thought they were
asking for, the best plan is to ask them.