[TowerTalk] Vertical dipoles

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 18 13:00:59 PST 2009

I have two Mor-Gain 80/40 antennas I have up as mostly vertical dipoles.  I
need to get the one that I call my NE vertical up a few more feet.  Its
vertical to the coax feed point then slopes at 50 degrees to the ENE.  I
originally put this one up in 2000 and was the first one through to D68C
when he called for USA 4's on 75.

This worked so well I found another Mor-gain 80/40 that I put up 60 feet
away with a slight slope of the bottom half to the dipole.  I have worked YB
and JA along with VK and ZL on this antenna.  One day I will make sure they
are exactly the same length and phase them so I can end fire or broadside.
Even without phasing they seem to react with each other
to give me a slight gain in the direction of the fed vertical.  I have
checked this twice with my trusty IC Industries FS meter.

I plan on re-installing my Spi-Ro 160 dipole as either a K8UR/W9LT vertical
or a dipole L.  The dipole L with the flat top pointed toward the SE put a
great signal into PY and LU.  The VP8 Dxpedition said I was loud in the
Falklands.

Vertical or even sloping dipoles are the easy way to get out a good low
angle for DX.  On the low bands an inverted V unless you can get it up over
100 feet is a skywave radiator.

73 Dave K4JRB