[TowerTalk] How Helically Wound Verticals Really Work (was : Vertical dipoles)

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Nov 19 19:55:44 PST 2009

Rick Karlquist wrote:
> Roger (K8RI) wrote:
>
>>> But a center loaded vertical has a high profile, high wind drag, and is
>>>
>> more fragile than the helically wound vertical.
>>

> This is a straw man argument.
Hardly. I'm comparing a lumped inductance in the center to turning the
entire antenna (or most of it) into one long linear loaded antenna.
>   You are comparing a 1 1/2 inch diameter
> HWV with a center loaded vertical using, say, a "bugcatcher" type coil.

Yes, that's what center loaded does to get the required inductance. Now
you could make the coil increasingly smaller and longer, but you'd
eventually end up with the helically wound antenna.
> Suppose the center loading "coil" is constructed just like the
> "helical" windings,

Then it becomes a helically wound antenna. The smaller you make the
diameter the longer it has to be.

73

Roger (K8RI)