[TowerTalk] Variation of Vertical T

Terry Conboy n6ry at arrl.net
Tue Nov 24 10:59:19 PST 2009

As Wes N5WA pointed out, coupling to your tower could be a real issue.
It sounds like the height of your tower, plus the capacitive loading of
the 40m yagi, could make it resonant near 160m.  With further info on
tower and yagi dimensions, it wouldn't be hard to add them to a model to
get a fairly good idea of the impact.  The biggest unknown would be
ground losses from the tower's connection to earth, if there is a
sizable current in the tower.

My model of your antenna (without the tower) over "average ground" shows
about 34 ohms at resonance, using two 28 foot sloping hat wires and two
130 foot long, 10 foot high elevated radials (all #14 bare copper).  The
gain is 0.46 dBi broadside and -0.01 dBi off the ends of the wires at 22
degree elevation..  If the top hat wires are instead horizontal, they
only need to be 24 feet each and the feed Z rises to 37.4 ohms, with
0.53 dBi broadside and 0.09 dBi off the wire ends at 22 degree
elevation.  There isn't much difference, since the hat wires are
relatively short in wavelengths.

73, Terry N6RY