[TowerTalk] Coax type selection

Joe - WDØM wd0m at wd0m.com
Thu Nov 26 12:57:56 PST 2009

Not much in the way of of lightning where I lived on the coast of
Alaska.  However, here in southwest Colorado, we are among the highest
strike areas in the state.  I just lost an HDTV, Bose stereo, computer,
and the SteppIR controller when a bolt of lightning hit my tower.
Everything else - all my ham gear - came through OK.  I've never had a
problem with the LMR400 here in CO, nor the Belden 9913 in Alaska.
Lightning is a great equalize and all bets are off.  However, I didn't
have to do anything to the LMR400 post lightning strike.  You are
correct about the gentle radius curves required for 9913 or you will
face center conductor movement.

73,

Joe
WDØM