[TowerTalk] Bumps in coax

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Nov 27 10:25:52 PST 2009

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 13:03:45 EST, K7LXC at aol.com wrote:

>        I'm not sure how those  bumps would appear in normal use. Assuming
>they were there when it was new,  they're manufacturing splices. You'll
find
>them in some RG-8 coaxes but not in  RG-213 or other higher grade coax.

There are lots of whores in the cable business. Most are nothing but brokers
-- they are buying and selling stuff they know nothing about, and buy low
sell high is the only consideration. Most of it is junk. There are no real
specs for performance, construction quality, or uniformity, and even if
there were, these turkeys wouldn't know how to test for them. They are
moving boxes.

When you find "bumps" in new coax, you're dealing with JUNK coax. There's a
REASON it's cheaper. Stick with REAL cable companies like Belden, Times,
Gepco, and Commscope, who actually manufacture their own cable. IF you buy
anything with someone else's name on it, it's probably a company that
doesn't mfr it, but buys it either from a mfr or one of those whores. There
is good private-label cable around, but there's a lot more junk. A few years
ago, I bought some excellent transmitting-grade RG6 with Pasternak's name on
it. Comparing it's physical characteristics to the Belden catalog, I'd guess
that it came from the Belden factory. I've not dealt with Davis RF or seen
any of their products, so can't comment on them. I've done biz with The
Wireman and feel that I got good stuff. I've bought connectors from RF
Connection and gotten junk. When I called to complain, I was told, "hams are
cheap."

If you don't buy Belden, Times, Gepco, or Commscope, make sure you  buy it
from a vendor you trust to 1) know the difference and 2) buy good stuff from
quality mfrs.

73,

Jim K9YC