[TowerTalk] Bumps in coax

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Nov 27 15:26:26 PST 2009

K7LXC at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/26/2009 10:48:06 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:
>

>>  During my regular inspection of my coaxial cables, I  noticed 2 or 3
>>
> hard
> bumps along the length of the cable.  These bumps  or pimples, do not break
> through the outer jacket, but look as if they are  on the verge of doing so.
> These bumps, or whatever, are small, about 1/8th  inch or so.   Any idea
> what
> they are, or what causes  them?
>
>         I'm not sure how those  bumps would appear in normal use. Assuming
> they were there when it was new,  they're manufacturing splices. You'll find
> them in some RG-8 coaxes but not in  RG-213 or other higher grade coax.

I thought splices would show up as a ring or series of closely spaced
rings.  When he said "bumps" that had me thinking a a round bump, or
"pimple" on the jacket and I've never seen a splice look like that.

I don't think you will find splices in either the LMR or CNT series
either.  At least I've never seen any, but my experience is limited to
only a couple thousand feet of each.

73

Roger (K8RI)