[TowerTalk] Open wire lines

n8de at thepoint.net n8de at thepoint.net
Mon Nov 30 11:19:48 PST 2009

Years ago, I stumbled, quite literally, upon an unusual scheme to feed
a 160m balanced antenna with open wire using a 'swinging-link' tuner.

The unusual component is that the balanced antenna feeders were
attached to the OPEN-circuit at the CENTER of the coil, with the outer
ends of the coil connected to the tuning capacitor, making the
parallel coil, capacitor, and antenna feeders all part of the tuned
circuit.

With the transmitter/amplifier output INTO the swinging link [make
sure it has sufficient turns and power-handling capabilities], you can
adjust the link for maximum power transfer into the antenna.

Wish I could draw a picture for you all, but the following is my
'klutz' attempt:

  _____
C     |
C     |
C     = [variable capacitor at this point in circuit]
L_____|____________ [open-wire feedline to antenna]
C     |
C     |
C     |     [L = position of swinging link]
C_____|

Have no idea why it worked, but the QSL from Bolivia on 160m made me smile.

73
Don
N8DE