[TowerTalk] safety harnesses

Jim Hoge knowkode at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 4 11:06:31 PDT 2009

Hello,

It's about time to replace my climbing harness and I am seeking opinions on different manufactures and models. I climb as a side job and average two or three climbs a week. I currently use an Elk River model 66613 full body harness and these are my pros and cons:

6 D-rings are a real plus- I carry extra carabiners, pulleys, tag lines, or tool bags. The D-rings on the bosun's seat are great for this.

Bosun's seat is rarely utilized and only adds weight.

Overall weight of the harness is heavy.

Chest straps and clips don't allow for much change in girth. If the harness fits well in summer, it's going to be tight in the winter when a jacket is worn.

When used off of a tower such as in cherry picker or in a crow's nest with a fall arrest lanyard, bending at the waist is restrictive. Yes, the lanyard is long enough, hi.

The harness has served me well but with rust appearing on the shoulder adjustment clips and the use it has seen, it's nearly time to replace it. Better  to err on the side of safety.

By the way, anyone have tricks for preventing the rust on the metal hardware? The points of concern are on the chest where sweat drips on them.

Tnx es 73,
Jim W5QM