[TowerTalk] electrocutions

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Tue Oct 13 22:09:26 PDT 2009

I agree with all your points except for CPR and having a bystander to
call 911. When you contact 13.2 kV distribution line, chances for
survival are very slim. CPR isn't the issue, it is destruction of the
internal organs and tissues in whatever portion of the body that carried
the current. Basically being toasted.

But having safety concerns, training (not likely for hams), and
recognition of the hazards could have prevented it. As someone
suggested, you should always assume your pole WILL fall on the power
line, so that it must be set far enough away that it won't. Wind,
balance, center of gravity, all unpredictable to the inexperienced and
even experienced. Working after dark near power line, is very risky.
I am amazed our Rural Co-op linemen do that, i watched them this summer,
during storm damage (trees) on my own 7200 Volt distribution line. They
worked with very bright spotlights on their truck.

73
John
K5PRO