[TowerTalk] To Stack or Not to Stack?

Al Williams alwilliams at olywa.net
Wed Oct 14 07:56:50 PDT 2009

I have had a 2 el steppir at the top of the second section of my 70' crankup
which puts the 2 el at about 37'.  A steppir monstr is at the top at 72'.
My reason for the using the 2 el was to be able to hang it on only one side
of the tower and use the reverse capability for the other 180 degrees of
gain.

I haven't tried to connect them as a stack as my purpose was to operate on
two bands with gain.  So far I have never heard a station on the lower
antenna than when listening on the top antenna when they were tuned on the
same band and pointed in the same direction.
I was hoping that the different heights would create different elevation
angles but so far it hasn't been benefecial for that purpose.  Maybe when
the higher bands become better, things will change?

k7puc