[TowerTalk] Ham Radio family electrocuted

Peter Larsen ve6yc at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 14 08:11:01 PDT 2009

>> In my opinion, you should keep any tower/antenna at least twice the
>> height
>> of the antenna from any power line.

>Of course that's often not possible

OK, I can understand this, although from seeing things I wish I never had, I
would be very cautious encroaching
on the 2x rule.

>We (my crew and I) regularly work
>on commercial towers that are only 30'-40' feet from 13KV

Here in Canada we have an OHSA rule that states you must keep all men and
equipment a minimum of 7 metres away from any
overhead line with out written consent from the utility. (paraphrased)
I fill out overhead line clearance forms daily for construction crews as
part of my job.
7 metres is about 23 feet in the old system.

>Weekend warriors, if faced with a special situation that calls out for a
>professional crew, should hire a professional crew, there's no doubt
>about that...

I totally agree with this. Even though I have had 30 years in the trade, at
the "old age" of 52 I am now starting to bring in help
on any job up the tower.

BTW, the nearest OH line to me is about 150 yards.

Cheers
Peter
VE6YC