[TowerTalk] Ground mounting vs roof mounting verticals

John Geiger aa5jg at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 19 09:13:55 PDT 2009

Most of the discussion I see about verticals assumes ground mounting, and I guess that it is because of ease of installation.  However, ground mounting also requires an extensive radial system.  How do ground mounted verticals compare in performance to roof mounted verticals, say at a height of 20 feet or so, with 4 quarter wave radials per band?

Are most verticals ground mounted because they also perform better with such a mount?  Or will a roof mounted vertical with the 1/4 wave radials be an equal or even better performer?

73s John AA5JG