[TowerTalk] NON-INSULLATION STRIKES AGAIN! RG174 ANOMALLY

K1TTT K1TTT at ARRL.NET
Sat Sep 5 03:39:22 PDT 2009

This sounded odd so I pulled out my belden catalog... and sure enough, right
at the beginning of the coaxial cable section are these 3 'low noise'
cables.

174/u type  8239  description: bare copper covered steel conductor,
polyethylene insulation, conductive layer, tinned copper braid shield, black
pvc jacket.

58/u type  9223  description: tinned copper conductor, conductive layer,
polyethylene insulation, duobond II tinned copper braid shield, black pvc
jacket.

59/u type  9224  description: bare copper covered steel conductor,
polyethylene insulation, conductive layer, tinned copper braid shield, black
pvc jacket.

Note that these are separate from the 'normal' 174/u mil-c-17d  8216 cable,
and the common 58/u and 59/u entries.  Unfortunately this is common with the
'rg' numbering system, there are often many manufacture variations on those.
with belden you must check the 4 digit cable type to know exactly what you
have.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net