[TowerTalk] Planning tool query

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Sep 9 21:10:53 PDT 2009

Dick Dievendorff wrote:
> I'm contemplating my first guyed tower with side-mounted antennas.
>

> What sorts of planning tools do people use to determine if the antennas of
> various turning radii will clear guy wires?

You know the turning radius of the antenna.  You can measure the angle
of the guy line.
Use the turning radius of the antenna for a right triangle base.
The sum of the angles will be 180 degrees. You know the angle of the
base to tower is 90 degrees so the total of the guy to tower and guy to
turning radius has to be 90
Therefor as an example if the angle of the guy at the ground is 30
degrees it will be 30 degrees with the turning radius and 60 with the tower.
Trig will give you the height between the antenna and the guy attach point.
Of course these dimensions are going to be a tad too small as they do
not take into account the catenary of the guy line. Add a foot or two to
the height and be happy at least for clearance. Interaction is something
else.

73

Roger (K8RI)