[TowerTalk] Question on Lightning Protection Devices, Polyphaser, etc.

Steve Norris w5ki at aol.com
Thu Sep 10 07:35:56 PDT 2009

Have two general questions/assumptions on use of polyphaser devices at
frequencies OTHER than the design bands.

(1)  I would assume that a unit's inherent lightning protection for the coax
run would be "intact", regardless of the frequency design of a device.  It
just wouldn't necessarily be useable for transmitting or receiving at none
design frequencies.  That being said:

(2)  I would also assume that a device designed for HF frequencies WOULD NOT
be useable for higher bands VHF/UHF/SHF frequencies.  I wouldn't try that.
However, I have no idea whether units designed for the higher frequencies
(i.e. cellular bands at 800mhz and up), could safely be used on "lower"
frequency HF/VHF bands.  The reason for the questions is the cheap
availability of some "very robust commercial devices (Polyphaser) removed
from cellular service.

I would STILL use devices at the house/shack entry that are designed for the
correct bands.  But, I was hoping to add some of these bulkhead polyphaser
units at the tower/antennas, for additional protection.  Comments?

Steve, W5KI